31 MARCH - 01 APRIL 2014
Born in Prague – 1926
PHD, Hebrew University – 1960
Joined Institute of Contemporary Jewry (ICJ) at Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 1961. Full Professor – 1977; Head of Holocaust Studies at ICJ – 1968-1996; Head of ICJ – 1973-1975, 1977-1979.
Founding Chair of the Vidal Sassoon Center for the Study of Antisemitism, 1982-1995.
Founding Editor of the Journal for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, 1986-1990.
Chair, Yad Vashem Research Institute – 2000-2005; Academic Adviser, Yad Vashem, 2005-present.
Member of Israeli Academy of Science – from 2000.
Adviser to the government of Sweden in organizing the Stockholm Forum on Holocaust Education (2000), and on Genocide Prevention (2004).
Academic Adviser of the International Task Force for Holocaust Education and Research (ITF) – now IHRA (International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance) – 1998-2005, Hon. Chairman (2005-present)
Israel Prize – 1998
Speech to the German Bundestag – Jan. 27, 1998 ;
Speech at the UN General Assembly – Jan, 27, 2006
Various medals from governments of Armenia, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Norway, Sweden.
Main Books (English only):
- From Diplomacy to Resistance – JPS, Philadelphia, 1970
- Flight and Rescue – Random House, New York, 1970
- My Brother's Keeper – JPS, Philadelphia, 1974
- The Holocaust in Historical Perspective – Washington University Press, Seattle, 1978
- The Jewish Emergence from Powerlessness –Toronto University Press, 1979
- American Jewry and the Holocaust – Wayne State University Press, Detroit, 1981
- The Holocaust as Historical Experience – Yehuda Bauer and Nathan Rotenstreich, ed., Holmes and Meier, New York, 1981
- Out of the Ashes – Pergamon Press, Oxford, England, 1989
- Jewish Reactions to the Holocaust – MOD Books, Tel-Aviv, 1989
- Jews for Sale? – Yale University Press, New Haven, 1994
- Rethinking the Holocaust – Yale University Press, 2001
- The Death of the Shtetl – Yale University Press, 2009
In preparation: A Contrary People (published in Hebrew as Ha'am hamechutzaf, Nahar Books, 2013)
Some 100 articles in refereed journals.